Mexico Mining Forum brings together the most influential business and political leaders in the Mexican Mining industry, including the interviewees featured in Mexico Mining Review 2021. Register now or risk missing this opportunity to get the insider's perspective and network with the industry’s main stakeholders at this high-profile conference and networking event.
Mexico Mining Forum 2020 Preliminary Program
- SpeakerFrancisco QuirogaUndersecretary of Mining at the Ministry of Economy
The AMLO administration won the 2018 election by advocating change and subsequently set out its goals in the National Development Plan. This presentation looks at the administration’s successes and setbacks related to the country’s mining industry during its first year in office. Moreover, it evaluates the actions that the Mexican government has undertaken to enhance the sector’s performance and the impact these actions have had on the industry’s value chain. It will also detail what steps come next.
- ModeratorGabino FragaDirector General of Grupo GAP
- PanelistMichael HarveySpecialist in Government Relations, Sustainability and Communications
- PanelistLuiz CamargoCountry Head of Minera Cuzcatlán
- PanelistJosé TovarCommunity Relations Manager at Alamos Gold
- PanelistDaniel SantamaríaVice President of Minera Gorrión, Almaden Minerals
Operators must obtain a social license if they want to work in harmony with local communities. To the same end, miners also have to thoroughly comply with all legal caveats regarding land ownership. This panel discusses two interrelated key topics. First, the best practices for collaborating harmoniously with local communities throughout the mine’s life cycle, from exploration to closing. Second, the soundest methods for successfully navigating Mexico’s intricate agrarian system in order to access land securely.
- SpeakerJavier Reyes de la CampaChairman of Accendo Banco
In an industry mostly dependent on volatile metal prices, strong financial structures are vital. Miners in Mexico have a wide variety of solutions to turn to, including private and public equity, debt refinancing on international markets, traditional loans from banks and other institutions, production-based financing and even crypto and crowdfunding solutions. This presentation will outline the current investment environment in Mexico, focusing on recent financing activity and capital market trends.
- ModeratorAlfredo PhillipsPresident of Guerrero Mining Cluster
- PanelistDavid ChelichHead of Business Development Mexico at Toronto Stock Exchange
- PanelistEnrique Rodríguez del BosquePartner at RB Abogados
- PanelistAlfredo TijerinaDirector General of FIFOMI
- PanelistJavier Reyes de la CampaChairman of Accendo Banco
Keeping a healthy project pipeline is not only about finding new deposits but also about expanding existing ones. Technical and managerial expertise coupled with intelligent financial strategies are crucial to this end. This panel will put in conversation representatives from successful brownfield projects with key financers that help bring the projects to fruition.
- PanelistJaime GabarróSenior Business Development Consultant at Datamine
- PanelistPaulo MartinsRegional Director South America at Datamine
One the major advantages of investing in technologies to digitalize mining operations is to give miners more control over their project’s value chain. Digitalization can provide the ability to manage a detailed operational plan, using different parameters to map out a variety of scenarios to optimize decision-making. This short presentation will highlight the main operational hurdles digital technologies can solve.
- ModeratorGerardo DuránDirector General of Chihuahua Mining Cluster
- PanelistAlejandro EspejelCountry Manager of FLSmidth
- PanelistDavid VizcarrondoDirector of Strategic Accounts at Emerson
- PanelistAgustín EncisoDirector General of Cozcyt
- PanelistEnrique EspinosaSubdirector of Mineral Resources, Mexican Geological Survey
Once the mineral reserves are proven and the project is determined to be feasible, the operator undertakes the great task of developing the new project, often from scratch. The goal is to ramp it up to efficient and cost-effective production. But no miner succeeds on its own: there is always a long value chain behind every successful operation. This panel, seeks to deliver an in-depth view into the intricacies of taking a project to the development phase and ultimately, to production.
- ModeratorAlberto OrozcoPresident of Sonora Mining Cluster
- PanelistHilde SalgadoUndersecretary of Economic Development in Sinaloa
- PanelistMiguel Ángel Lucero OlivasSenator and President of Mexican Senate's Mining Commission
- PanelistBernardo RamírezPartner at Chevez,Ruiz,Zamarripa
- PanelistLuis Javier SánchezUndesecretary of Investment in Zacatecas
- Carlos SilvaCEO of Santacruz Silver Mining
With the aim of raising the living standard of populations in mining-oriented areas, Mexico’s so-called Mining Fund was established as a result of the fiscal reform of 2014. The adequacy of the use of the fund’s resources has been a point of debate ever since. Given that mining tends to have local costs, while its benefits are often not fully experienced in its immediate location, devising strategies for redistributing value in the industry is a pressing matter.
- ModeratorHéctor QuezadaCountry Manager of Victaulic Mexico
- PanelistJody KuzenkoCOO of Torex Gold Resources
- PanelistAdrián BlancoGeneral Manager Mexico of McEwen Mining
- PanelistSalvador GarcíaCOO at Starcore
- PanelistRamón MendozaVice President Operations at First Majestic
Mexican mining has a myriad of successful operators that have come to outstand in the mining landscape over the years. Have they all followed the same strategies for operational and financial success or is there a key secret ingredient that has allowed them to thrive in the industry? This panel brings together the leaders behind these success stories in an opportunity to learn their story directly from the authors.
Our Networking Cocktails are a must for C-level professionals who want to expand their business, improve their contacts or who simply want to gain insights from other key stakeholders in their industry. By invitation only, these exclusive events provide enhanced networking and put you in front of the people and businesses that matter to you. Organized around specific topics and themes, our intimate Networking Cocktails are a value-added opportunity to discuss the latest trends and strategies impacting your sector.
Let us help you open doors to fresh opportunities.